Calcium aluminate cements are cements consisting predominantly of hydraulic calcium aluminates. Alternative names are "aluminous cement", "high-alumina cement" and "Cement fondu" in French. They are used in a number of small-scale, specialized applications.
Because of their relatively high cost, calcium aluminate cements are used in a number of restricted applications where performance achieved justifies costs:
- in construction concretes, where rapid strength development is required, even at low temperatures.
- as a protective liner against microbial corrosion such as in sewer infrastructure.
- in refractory concretes, where strength is required at high temperatures.
- as a component in blended cement formulations, for various properties such as ultra-rapid strength development and controlled expansion are required.
- in sewer networks for their high resistance to biogenic sulfide corrosion.
HIGH ALUMINA BINDER is a hydraulic binder is manufactured from bauxite and limestone which produces a cement based on calcium aluminates rather than calcium silicates, which are the basis of Portland cements.
Calcium aluminate binder based mortars & concretes have setting times similar to Portland cement but are ultra-rapid hardening.
Calcium aluminate binder can be used in all types of non-structural construction, for refurbishment, repair and new works. It offers simple and effective solutions where time is short or in demanding applications where the performance of Portland cements is not adequate.
The unique properties of CIMENT FONDU are widely used for industrial uses, in highway pavements and general construction:
- Mixed with Portland cements, CIMENT FONDU accelerates the setting time of mortars for general repairs and construction
- Used as a cement, it is possible to manufacture a concrete or mortar with high early strength and exceptional drying properties, even in cold weather (down to -10°C).
- - Road re-opening -6 hours after concrete placing of concrete/mortar.
- - Less than 3% residual water content after 48 hours allowing early application of floor covering materials
- (resins, adhesive floor tiles, wood floors).
- Used as a cement, it is also possible to produce mortars and concretes resisting aggressive environments such as: high temperatures (up to 1200°C), or corrosion down to pH 4.
High Temperature Resistance
Used with appropriate refractory aggregates, CIMENT FONDU mortars & concretes can withstand up to 1200°C.
- Fireplace & chimney construction
- Barbecues & pizza ovens
- Foundry floors & metallurgical works
CIMENT FONDU mortars & concretes exhibit superior performance against chemical and bacterial corrosion (pH4), compared to Portland based concretes.
CIMENT FONDU is not acid proof, i.e. impervious to acid attack, but withstands them far better than Portland cement based concretes.
- Sewer networks
- Marine environments
- Agricultural buildings
- Food processing industries
Concreting in cold conditions
Heat released by the ultra-rapid hardening of CIMENT FONDU concrete enables concreting in cold weather and even below freezing point down to -10°C (N.B. concrete must be protected from freezing until it sets).
Use down to -10°C
- Overnight work: subject to risk of freezing
- Road works
- Refrigeration chambers/ cold stores.
- Below 0°C, the aggregates should be stored in conditions to prevent them from freezing.